Holiday Survival: Gift giving
Gift Giving as a Practice of Love
I’m not saying we shouldn’t give, I’m just saying we need both!
Consider these REFRAMING ideas about gifting:
- It is as honorable to receive as it is to give.
- Our attention is the greatest gift we can offer another.
- Absence can be the perfect gift for those who do not appreciate our presence.
Did you know that our brains gift us a hit of dopamine when we find the right gift … giving us an emotional lift. Additionally, we receive a similar emotional boost when our gifting is received favorably. When we see the expression of joy, gratitude, surprised delight on our recipients face, we often feel the same!
When I receive a reply to these newsletters, I receive it like a gift. So please reply and I’ll send you a gift too! But also, consider a gift for yourself, a way to gift YOURSELF some extra attention for your self-care practice this week. Here are some examples,
- Spend some time journaling. Recount the ways you have blessed others.
- Invite a friend to take a walk with you or to share a chat over a cup of tea.
- Send yourself a love note… and put it in the mail! Receive it with an open heart when it arrive back in your mail box.
However you decide to invest in yourself, know you are worth it!
Wishing you abundance of love and peace.